Kevin's Reviews > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: classics, short-story-collection
Read from February 13 to 25, 2012

This is the first collection of Sherlock Holmes stories and is an excellent collection. It contains twelve shorts stories which I have also individually rated.

"A Scandal in Bohemia" 5/5
Definitely one of the must read Holmes stories. It contains the only canonical appearance of Irene Adler aka the woman. She has been built up a bit more over time and the quality of this story attests to why.

"The Adventure of the Red-Headed League" 4/5
This is another much lauded and very strange case. It has some very strange terms and I think it was a little bit of a leap to get to the end. However, it is a good read.

"A Case of Identity" 3/5
This one's plot was one I'd seen before. It is one that has been repeated a few times. It was okay.

"The Boscombe Valley Mystery" 4/5
Another fairly common Sherlockian mystery, but nonetheless enjoyable. Sherlock must prove that the likeliest suspect in a murder is not always the culprit.

"The Five Orange Pips" 1/5
This was the most dissatisfying of the bunch. Partially because as an American the mystery behind "KKK" was... thin at best. Also, the ending was extremely dissatisfying.

"The Man with the Twisted Lip" 4/5
I quite enjoyed this one. A man disappears into thin air and Sherlock must find him.

"The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" 5/5
One of the most famous stories and for good reason. On Christmas a man finds a goose that lays a large jewel of an egg. It is the subject of a headline theft and Holmes has to discover the thief.

"The Adventure of the Speckled Band" 5/5
This one has all the elements that have made Holmes mysteries famous.

"The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb" 4/5
I really enjoyed the buildup of this tale. It was intriguing until the very end when it led to sort of a cop out ending.

"The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor" 3/5
It was only okay. Nobleman has to find his bride who is thought to be dead.

"The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet" 4/5
Another strongly enjoyable tale. Holmes must free a wrongly imprisoned man and attempt to reunite a family.

"The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" 4/5
This one is very Victorian Gothic tale, but serves to be a quite enjoyable read.

In conclusion, this set comes out to more like 4.5 with the only real down point being the orange pips. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a good start to Sherlock Holmes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

02/13/2012 page 20