Roxanne Kade's Reviews > The Society of Sinners

The Society of Sinners by Charity Parkerson

Feb 13, 2012

liked it
Read from February 12 to 14, 2012

There was so much to like about this book, but there were also so many tiny things that distracted from the story, and that is why I gave it a 3.5 star rating.

Firstly, I loved the individual stories that were all interwoven. The only problem I had, was that just as I felt I was getting to know a character, they disappeared.

The story tells the lives of five couples:

Brandon and Stacey. I was immediately thrown into the middle of a story which I wish had been a little more developed. I would have liked to have been introduced to each character in a different way, and given a little more back story into their lives. I felt they went from being two strangers one minute, to lovers and then married within the blink of an eye. Everything seemed to happen too quickly and at times it was even a little confusing. The fact that Stacey accepted what she had become, so easily, was a little off-putting. She had just suffered through a terrible ordeal, only to wake up and find out she is now a vampire/tiger hybrid, and she was fine with it. I'm not sure if I could be so forgiving and accepting.

Jazz and Cherish. I really enjoyed this couple. Even though their loved seemed almost instantaneous, I did feel I got to know them a little better. The fact that they played a role throughout the rest of the book was also something I enjoyed. Unlike the first couple who appeared once or twice, but had pretty much faded out after the first few chapters. I'm not sure if I even remember Stacey being mentioned any time after the brief moment she talks Cherish into joining Safe Haven.

Gabe and Taylor. I enjoyed their interaction with each other, but again everything moved too quickly. And the constant jump between past and present was somewhat annoying, and again very distracting. For me Taylor was a weak character. One minute she is avoiding Gabe after discovering he is a werewolf, and the next, she is agreeing to marry him. I would have liked to see her stand her ground a little more.

Dominic and Mika. Dominic pops up in Gabe and Taylor's story, and at first I really didn't care very much for his character, but as his story unfolds, I found myself warming towards him. The love he holds for Mika feels real and unrushed, perhaps because they shared a life many years before. Mika is also a wonderful character and probably my favorite of all the female leads in the book.

Dimitri and Annabelle. Dimitri has suffered a horrible life. He's been a lab rat for The Society, lost his wife and turned to the dark side. But as soon as he is "freed" we see a different side to him. His love for Annabelle is genuine. Annabelle, is the daughter of Gabe and Taylor. She grew up loving Dimitri, at first as a friend but soon her feelings morphed into real love. Out of all the couples they seem to have the strongest bond.

I really did enjoy this book, with it's many characters, but all in all I would have liked to see and feel more sexual tension and chemistry between the couples. I did love the twist Ms. Parkerson put on the whole vampire lore though, and I will be reading the second book in the series.
Thank you to read2review and Charity Parkerson for giving me the opportunity to read The Society Of Sinners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Society of Sinners.