Shane's Reviews > Darkness Before Dawn

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

Mar 16, 14

Read on May 24, 2012

-For Itching for Books

Welcome to the city of Denver, where vampires and humans co-exist based on a treaty, "keep them fed so your children can rest their heads," if you get my point. This is a place where party bouncers check for fangs rather than the usual identification, oblivious to the fact that seventeen year olds are drinking beer. And people wear crucifixes like their lives depended on it, though the item has proven useless being that vampires themselves are wearing them. But then again these aren't your silly storybook vampires we're talking about here; they have heartbeats, and their skin is warm to the touch. Not something I'm used to hearing about bloodsuckers, yet you'll find that nothing about this city is normal after reading Darkness Before Dawn.
Schools have replaced past curriculum with survival courses like vampire psychology and excessive training schedules. Agencies have been established for the sole purpose of maintaining order. And Denver has become a society desperate to protect what is left in hopes of having a future where humans will still exist. This is where Dawn Montgomery comes in.

Dawn is the newly appointed delegate for her city, but while she serves as a representative for humans who negotiates with vampires, her distaste for the latter is hardly unrecognizable. And with logical reasoning. The responsibilities of a delegate fell onto her shoulders after the brutal killing of her parents. Interestingly enough, her distaste towards the specie wavers as she comes in contact with a very hot number, Victor, who rescues Dawn and her BFF from ending up as food for the 'lessers'. However, a growing love between the son of a vampire lord and the city's chosen delegate is without a doubt highly unacceptable. Nonetheless, their journey towards being together is very enjoyable. I was particularly amused by her humorous denial of developing romantic feelings for a vampire. Luckily, a rising problem seems to speed this love along and I'm enamored with nothing else but that.

All in all, the story was entertaining and well-written at start, drifting a bit in the middle, then picked up the pace towards the end. So, that's not so bad. I completed the book in one day because my hands refused to give it any rest-aside from the detrimental bathroom breaks-and wanting to see where this was going. I wasn't bombarded with too much details, and the mystery kept everything balanced. Aside from the fizzling here and there, Dawn was absolutely fascinating...her fierceness totally outshines everything else. She wasn't some flimsy damsel in distress and unable to put up a fight. Dawn's the girl who brings it. Trust me, there's never a dull moment with her, never. And Victor, well he was just a hot vampire walking. There's no need to mention anyone else for their presence failed to impress me.

Darkness Before Dawn is a tolerable take on mythical creatures ruling society in the future. This was superb writing from a mother-son team. However, the next book should be more uplifting, more consistent, more adventurous...just more!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Before Dawn.

05/24/2012 page 40