Srividhya R's Reviews > The Immortals of Meluha

The Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi

Feb 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

I am always a fan of Lord Shiva. So when I saw a book with Shiva as a core subject, I wanted to read this book. To appreciate the author “Amish” for his knowledge and interest in ancient India(Bharath), I bought this book instead of borrowing it from friends.

The way the author depicts the Ram Raajya (Lord Shri Ram’s Kingdom), is awe-inspiring. His way of taking the subject - Shiva from a normal human being into a super man is very interesting. I truly salute the author. But the author states several untrue facts in this book, which he claims as the Indian History or Ram Raajya.

> First thing, the author claims that Sati (Parvati) is a widow is unacceptable.
> Secondly, the author takes the story to a point where the Shiva marries the Sati who is a widow. How the Mahadeva in the name of Holy-lake would marry a widow?

As per Indian history there is no concept of Widow re-marriage. When a man dies, there was an audacious practice of firing the Wife of the husband along with his body.

With his immense knowledge on Indian history and Ram Raajya, I wonder, how the author dared to depict Sati Devi as a Widow and Lord Shiva getting married to a Widowed Sati!

I don’t understand onething. Indians/Hindus, they emerge together to fight against when Government or Terrorists try to cause any damage to the Lord Ram’s name. But now they are keeping their mouths shut allowing this kind of book to be published across the world, where the author understate the Lord Shiva’s honor.

I believe this act should be questioned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortals of Meluha.