Mike's Reviews > The Smarter Science of Slim: What the Actual Experts Have Proven about Weight Loss, Health, and Fitness

The Smarter Science of Slim by Jonathan Bailor

Feb 13, 2012

liked it

In 2011 I lost 120 lbs following nutritional advice similar to what's outlined in this book. Since then i've been working to maintain that weight loss by better understanding human physiology so a book promising to explain a decade of scientific research was too good to resist. Unfortunately I found the book lacking in several connected areas.

My first issue with the book is the lack of depth on the science. While Bailor does often go into the science he seems to do so only enough to Make the case for a "what" where with only a few more paragraphs he could explain the "why"; the all important question good science seeks to answer. Instead he leaves this as a footnote to the article as an exercise to the reader.

This leads to my second issue: the book often repeats the same platitudes about fallacy of food guidelines & the benefits & ease of his suggested plan. The reader could have been treated to more good science & fresh information.

This is where my third issue arises: given the over-repeating of his buzz words & catch phrases the book feels more like a sleazy diet plan pitch the likes of which Mr. Bailor spends so much time (& rightfully so) railing against.

While not as scientific as implied the book is a good start, especially if you haven't read "Good Calories, Bad Calories". And as I mentioned there was much covered which overlapped with my own experience.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smarter Science of Slim.