Saly's Reviews > Playing for Keeps

3192922
Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, virgin-heroines
Read in February, 2012

I really enjoyed this book, the hero was so crazy, crazy about the heroine that he growled when he saw guys checking her out even when he as a player did that before. They have been neighbours for five years and she has always avoided him not liking conflict but the day she decides that she is taking no nonsense from anyone they discover they have a lot in common, they love sports and soon become best buddies.

The hero was almost feral in his love of food & he reminded me of Shelley Laurenston heroes. I loved the whole tone of the book, light & I deducted a star because of the drama at the end that could have been avoided. The book was sexy, I liked the platonic sleeping together these two did before the hero figured that he wanted to be more than a friend. Honestly, the hero & his friends were a hoot and seeing him in a stupor after figuring out his feelings made me laugh like hell.

Also another moment I kind of loved was how his family was so shocked that he had a girlfriend, someone like the heroine, but their disbelief kind of got old.

A fun book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Keeps.

message 1: by Mimi (last edited Feb 13, 2012 04:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Hmm, Saly, I hate to say it, but I think part of your review was cut off. I'd like to kow what the deduction was for:)

I loved this book:D

Saly Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it.

Mimi Smith Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Well, now I can say...Great review!:P

Saly Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Well, now I can say...Great review!:P"

Hee..Mimi :D Seriously, I love GR coz otherwise I would have never tried this book.

Mimi Smith Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Well, now I can say...Great review!:P"

Hee..Mimi :D Seriously, I love GR coz otherwise I would hav..."

Yeah, me neither. As I said in my review-I soooo judge a book by its cover. And this is way to bland. Based on blurb alone, I wouldn't have got it, but thank God for recs, friends' reviews and Goodreads.

BTW, the Shelly Laurenston similarity is there, for sure.

Saly Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Well, now I can say...Great review!:P"

Hee..Mimi :D Seriously, I love GR coz otherwis..."

Me too, I found the cover un-appealing.
And the hero was bat-shit crazy like all SLaurenston books!!

Mimi Smith Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Well, now I can say...Great review!:P"

Hee..Mimi :D Seriously, I love GR..."

The one from the 2nd book is as well. just a different kind of crazy. Arrogant-delusional crazy.

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Great review Saly.....You wouldn't have thought by looking at the cover that it would have been an interesting book!

Saly Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Hee..Mimi :D Serious..."

I just started it but not having the same feeling as the 1st.

message 10: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Dee wrote: "Great review Saly.....You wouldn't have thought by looking at the cover that it would have been an interesting book!"

Thanks Dee, you gotta try it.

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Hee..Mi..."

Yeah, I preferred the 1st. The self-esteem issues on her side and the feeling of grandeur on his bugged me a little...

Marty I just finished this one, too. It was funny. I really enjoyed the first part, even if the hero was a little bit too childish for my taste... Didn't like the drama/misunderstandings in the second part, though...

message 13: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Hee..yeah that'll teach me to paste while on the phone :D I added it."

Well, now I can say...Great review..."

Yeah, I think I need a change, may read another book and then come back to this.

message 14: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Marty wrote: "I just finished this one, too. It was funny. I really enjoyed the first part, even if the hero was a little bit too childish for my taste... Didn't like the drama/misunderstandings in the second pa..."
I agree on all points, Marty.

MelissaB Great review Saly! I too enjoyed this one and wished for a little less drama at the end but it was still funny and good! Perfection is also good, if you haven't read it yet.

message 16: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly MelissaB wrote: "Great review Saly! I too enjoyed this one and wished for a little less drama at the end but it was still funny and good! Perfection is also good, if you haven't read it yet."

Hey, Melissa have read it though I preferred this one more. Sorry have not been around but was glad to hear about the baby update :)