Siew Ee's Reviews > The Garden of Eden

The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway

Feb 15, 12

Read in February, 2012

The book is about a very simple relationship made complicated, so complicated that it turned a beautiful marriage into a mess. Why Catherine introduced a third party into the picture is beyond me, despite the reasons given. She and David had a beautiful thing going, and I spent time just witnessing how their marriage went downhill gradually.

There’s little else happening in the book,which was made longer by random page fillers that had nothing to do with the plot. Maybe there was more to be revealed between the lines, but I did not try; knew I would get a headache if I did. I also found the character development weak, which made it hard to care one way or the other for them, in particular, Catherine. Then again, it can be argued that I did not give this book a chance because sub-consciously, I could not reconcile myself to the moral principles (or lack of it) of the characters.

I wasn’t satisfied with the ending. It seemed to stop at an awkward point without any resolution. In short, I I did not get this story. AT ALL. [I give it a rating of 2/5, including one extra point because I did not try hard enough to understand this book, and giving it the benefit of the doubt that it would be more interesting if I did!]
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Eden.