Paula's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Apr 25, 13

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

Fantasy is my thing. It's what really gets to me, what makes me passionate about stories. This book does a terrible disservice to the genre. People have told me that if I had read it beforeI knew it was a Christian allegory, I would not have been prejudiced and would have enjoyed it. But I did read it before I knew it was meant to be religious propaganda, and really, that makes it even worse. At least when you know it's propaganda, you can tell why all the nonsensical drivel is there.

It's not the Christian imagery by itself, but the fact that the book is only an allegory for the bible and absolutely nothing else. I can't believe that people can like this book with its glaring inconsistencies (much like the bible, of course, being derivative work). The four siblings are supposed to be the chosen ones of an old prophecy, they will be the ones to rid Narnia of the long winter of misery it has been in for 100 years. They have a lot of pretty adventures, but who saves everyone at the end? Aslan, terrible and powerful Aslan, which defeats the point of them even coming to Narnia at all, or of Narnia having to suffer for a hundred years before the damned lion saw fit to stop the BItch once and for all. Oh, I mean Witch.

The sacrifice of Aslan in the stead of Edmund, allegorical for the sacrifice of Christ to atone our sins and reach salvation, makes as little sense as the biblical account. How much of a sacrifice is it, really, when you know you will survive, unscathed, to live forever on? Why was the sacrifice necessary at all? Death for a little boy's mistake seems like a very harsh punishment to me, one that doesn't make any sense (the same way that I find ridiculous that Christ died for my sins... you know, the ones I hadn't made yet because I was not born yet. Also, nothing I have ever done is bad enough that needs atonement by death, except in a christian's disproportionate view of morals). The Evil Witch that has frozen thousands and delivered misery to the entire land for a hundred years gets to talk about justice, law and treason? Preposterous.

At the end, the only thing the siblings seem to achieve is getting Aslan killed (and resurrected, sure enough), and they become the rightful Kings and Queens of a land they arrived in a couple of days ago, for the amazing feat of simply existing.

One thing is for sure, this will not be among the books I will read to my future children. I hope to give them stories of wonder and magic, of true justice, true sacrifice, real effort, worthy endeavor and above all, genuine love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.