Dale Harcombe's Reviews > Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

Apr 27, 12

Read in April, 2012

Probably close to three and a half stars. I am a Jodi Picoult fan and read this book, as I do nearly all of her books, at breakneck speed and in close to one sitting. They are not called page turners without reason. She invariably has an issue for the reader to think about and characters that are well defined and evoke our sympathy.
Jodi Picoult is one author who successfully manages to change from one character to another in the situation without making the reader feel they are being pulled all over the place. It’s interesting to see how the same situation looks to different characters involved in it and that makes it easier to identify with them and to understand their behaviour. That said, I did not find Lone Wolf as satisfactory as I have some of her other books.
Usually I find her characters well drawn and I can relate to the characters and the issue they are facing. With Lone Wolf I found the character of Luke Warren hard to relate to. I had difficulty imagining why anyone would want to be married to him. It was the whole thing about living with the wolves and his wolf like behaviour that I found most off putting. Even though I can appreciate the amount of research that went into the details of wolf behaviour, in the end I tended to skip the chapters in Luke's voice because I didn't find him an engaging character and wasn't interested in the wolf lifestyle.
The issue of what to do with a loved one in a coma when they may never come out of it, is heartbreaking and yet this time I never quite felt the heartbreak, as Cara and Edward, Luke's daughter and son, line up on opposing sides about what needs to happen to him. I think this was largely because I didn’t particularly care for any of the characters and didn’t feel they were as well developed as her characters are in other books. That said, it’s still a good read that will make you think how you might react in a similar situation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Wolf.