Tara Calaby's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: own-ebook, science-fiction, plague, cyborgs-omg, fairytale, ya-fiction, romance, family
Read from February 07 to May 17, 2012 , read count: 1

Five Things I Loved About Cinder

1. It is set in a well-constructed and interesting future universe. Marissa Meyer has given thought to the history of her world and to how this history influences the present time and the fears and actions of those who inhabit it.

2. It uses the Cinderella fairytale as inspiration, not as a blueprint. Often, retellings are just that, with no real creativity or innovation involved. Here, you can see the elements of the original story, but they're used in a way that feels authentic within the setting.

3. It has a strong female lead. Cinder has plenty of insecurities, but she just gets on with her life despite these and despite her less-than-wonderful living situation. She's a talented mechanic, devoted to the people she cares about and selfless when it matters, rather than as her standard.

4. It's entertaining and well-plotted. The pacing is good and there is a strong mix of characters who do not feel like unaltered archetypes. Better still, the romantic lead has a lot more going for him than his looks - and he treats Cinder with respect.

5. It's about a CYBORG OMG. Cyborgs are essentially my science fiction thing.

Two Things I Didn't Love About Cinder

1. It contains a "twist" that is readily apparent almost from the very beginning of the book. Regardless of whether Meyer wanted her readers to be aware of this before Cinder, I always feel a bit duped when the big reveal is something I've known all along.

2. It is not a fully-contained novel, but rather the first quarter of a complete story. This is my biggest gripe with Cinder. I know series are the big thing right now, but every novel within a series should be able to be read and enjoyed as a book in its own right. I didn't feel that with Cinder. It's good enough that I will read Scarlett anyway, but the lack of any closure is annoying nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

02/17/2012 "I feel the need to say that I'm not paused on this because I'm not enjoying it. I'm actually loving it, so far. The trouble is, I have review copies and library books that have to take precedence now I'm back from Queensland :("

message 1: by Dominica (new)

Dominica I agree with your comment about novels within a series. I've been thinking about that a bit myself.

Tara Calaby I always end up feeling ripped off when a book doesn't feel complete in itself. It's like I've invested 400 pages worth of time, only to get no pay-off.

message 3: by Dominica (new)

Dominica Yeah, I understand, especially when it's that long. I guess this stuff is on my mind because I realise the conclusion of my novel is getting closer, and I want to make sure I leave the reader feeling like there is some closure. Because I do have ideas for a second book, too.

Tara Calaby I think the key is writing it as though there WON'T be a sequel. And then, when there IS one, it's a bonus!

message 5: by Dominica (new)

Dominica Yeah, that makes sense. Well, when I was plotting it out in the first place, I hadn't planned on having a sequel, so that probably helps. Of course, various developments have come about as I've been writing which I hadn't planned on, so now I'm not 100% sure what's going to happen in the end. But yes, I am trying to think about it in the sense that there may not be another book.