Christine's Reviews > Orange Is the New Black

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: biography, grown-ups, non-fiction, read-in-2012
Read from September 25 to 27, 2012

There's fewer things in life that irritate me more than a criminal who writes a tell-all book and refuses to accept the blame for what they did and points fingers at "the system" and blames it for all of their troubles. Thankfully, this book isn't one of those books. Not only does Piper recount exactly what she did that caused her to be incarcerated, she also admits that what she did was wrong and feels extremely guilty when she sees what happens to people who use the same types of drugs that she carried. She also points out the flaws in our criminal justice system, but she does it in a way that doesn't make me think that she's just saying this because she's mad that she got caught. The best parts of this book are her stories of her day to day life in prison and how she made friends with an assortment of other women. By the end, there were so many names floating around, I was having a hard time keeping track of who was who! Overall, I liked this book a lot, but I wish that we had a little bit of an epilogue that explained more of what happened after she got out of prison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orange Is the New Black.