Carrie's Reviews > False Colors

False Colors by Alex Beecroft

** spoiler alert ** 4.5*
Grade A

This was an amazing book. I can't imagine the same type of book being written with a m/f combination. Beecroft writes first and foremost a wonderful historical novel on the lines of Patrick O'Brian. the details of the life of a sailor were incredibly realistic and well done--and often hard to take. The reader is immerses in the sense of time and place. The relationship/romance aspect of the book is intertwined in the history and ongoing story so well that they plots feel seamlessly tied together. I ached for John as his true sexual orientation dawns on him, and I also hurt for Alfie as he navigated the perils of being a "sod" in a time and place that could get him hung. Both John and Alfie, and even Farrant, Alfie's lover for part of the novel, are ultimately characters the readers feel empathy towards.

There are so many issues to talk about here. Each character, including Farrant's wife, the doctor who tried t0o "cure" him, Alfie, John, and even the various crews all have a valuable part to play in this drama and their motives and actions make for good discussions.

I found this book moving and challenging and ultimately very memorable. Recmmended.

Warning: violence can be intense in this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Colors.