Janet's Reviews > Shadow Kin

Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, tbrchallenge, angsty-goodness
Read from February 12 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

A girlfriend sent me this book and said it was fab -- so I'm going to read it for the February TBR Challenge.

The discussion between Simon and Lily around Shadow's real name is very reminiscent of both Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea and Mary Balogh's More than a Mistress. I liked the tone it set. In a book like Shadow Kin (The Half-Light City), I am always so reminded of echoes from books I have loved -- and don't I know that there are references that are escaping me. So Shadow Kin is on a continuum of similar stories: a couple, in a time of danger and peril, finding each other, often at the cost of former loyalties and ways of life.

Just finished it: apologies @superwendy for coming in late. Shadow Kin has all my favourite fantasy elements: a h/h who aren't the same -- who have to explore and accept and compromise as they forge a future, amazing imagery, particularly dark/light, free/enslaved, a world that is so complicated that I welcome future books that will help me understand it ... this was a great choice to palette-cleanse my reading. Everything about it appealed to me. Lily had hard choices to make and the familiar felt so tempting -- why change, why take a chance -- isn't that a universal question? Highly recommended. Racing adventure and deliciously romantic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Kin.