Lexie's Reviews > The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy

The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin

This book helped remind me why I still adore middlegrade.

It managed to be cute, sweet, genuinely emotional, and creepy, sometimes all within the span of a few pages. In a YA novel, that'd be almost bizarre; but in here? Not in the slightest. Children have such a fantastic array of emotions, and are so very capricious. They can switch from delighted to horrified to curious within the span of minutes. And they have this honest, black and white view of the world that has always fascinated me more than anything.

At first, this tripped me up. While some of the characters were wonderful and real and intensely likable--Lorelei, Andrew, even Brian, despite his jerkiness--some of them seemed to be flatly evil, with no redeeming traits to speak of. But then I remembered something, something I suppose I'd forgotten in the many months between my last middlegrade read. I remembered that simply because Lorelei perceived these people as purely awful did not mean they were, in actuality, evil incarnate; it was simply how she saw them. Lorelei is not a little kid, but even at her age, children have this tendency to make things out in such a way that the world is easier to grasp. There are blacks and whites, rights and wrongs, but there are no shades of gray.

I'd accepted this, so it came as a very, very pleasant surprise when Nikki Loftin showed me that Lorelei could see the shades of gray, at least a bit.

Even those characters that should be completely despicable, the ones you know you're supposed to hate, root against, hope for their demise, etc., were not the evil, mustache-twirling (hair-twirling, since they're female?) villains that one might find in a middlegrade book for the younger ages. They were terrible, yes, and I was rooting for Lorelei to defeat them, yes, but there were these small moments, these small emotions, that made them so very real, despite the fantastic circumstances.

I adored that. I adored every last character in here, but most of all, I adored Lorelei. She was sweet and troubled and determined and far, far better than most MCs you'll find in YA today. They could learn a thing or to from this girl, this eleven-year-old who loves her family and loves her friend and will do anything to save the people around her, no matter how they may act towards her.

That's not the only thing I was fond of. I liked the writing, simple and smooth; I liked the plot, with its fast, even pacing that rushed me through this in less than a day; I liked the whole concept, completely creepy and completely original. Granted, I guessed the main plot within the first 30 pages, but I do not fall within this book's intended audience. I suspect that for the average 7-12 year old, the plot will be a wonderful mystery.

More than all this, though, the characters made the story. Nikki Loftin has a real talent for creating characters that you can't help but love, and that, that guarantees I will read anything she writes, no matter the genre.

4.5 stars, but I loved the characters enough that it's being rounded to 5.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy.

03/25/2012 page 117
38.36% "Question for those of you who review MG: what are your "rules," per se, when reviewing a middlegrade book? Because there are things in here that I know I'd rag on in a YA novel, but that I believe are far more common in the MG genre." 5 comments