Rebecca's Reviews > Poison

Poison by Bridget Zinn

Apr 15, 13

bookshelves: out-in-2013, awesome-heroines, love-the-cover, read-in-2013, to-buy-read
Read from April 11 to 15, 2013

The first word that comes to mind when I think about this book is charming. It was such a fun way to pass the time; though I have to admit I thought it would be a little darker. Probably because that's just what I've gotten used to when I read anything in the high fantasy genre. It could almost read like a middle grade novel instead of YA; and again, that's not a bad thing, just not what I was expecting.

I also thought that the title "Potion" would suit the book a lot better than "Poison". Kyra is a potions master and uses different bottled concoctions throughout the story, very frequently, but there's only one poison that I can recall. The protagonist (nicknamed "Kitty") was definitely fun to follow around; she has to find her way out of a number of sticky situations. She was, after all, on the run from the law after trying to kill the princess.

I think this is one of those books that I probably would have enjoyed more had it been written in first person instead of third. I guess third person doesn't work badly into the story, but it would definitely have been possible to do first. I enjoyed how the events gradually unfolded in the form of Kyra's memories or visions. Poison definitely kept me entertained and I was sorry to see it end.

There are many funny bits and it's not difficult to become attached to the characters. The love interest, Fred, and his dog Langley were cool side characters, and I absolutely adored Rosie the pig. She was probably my favorite of them all. The romance was very cute and not very cheesy, which I appreciated. I could see how Kyra really came to care about Fred, as opposed to her ex-fiance Hal, who she apparently decided to marry rather quickly.

While some of the big reveals were a little predictable, I still liked seeing how everything came together or how the hints from the beginning played out in the end. (view spoiler) The antagonist had just enough color and personality to make him an interesting villain.

All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a lighter fantasy novel; it's certainly worth the read. I was so sorry to hear about the passing of the author. May she rest in peace.

4 stars.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison.

04/12/2013 page 60