Lillian's Reviews > In One Person

F 50x66
Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: glbt, doorway-character, doorway-story
Read from February 12 to 14, 2012

In One Person is an intensely fascinating and deeply complex bildungsroman, but it is so much more. Like a fly fisherman, Irving has cast out the bait of the narrative. We circle it gradually. We want to keep reading but remain unsure. Finally the bait is just too irresistible. Irving has us hooked and reels us in relentlessly. We are powerless to stop reading and don’t even consider putting the book down. I frankly placed my life on hold until I finished it.
While the story is predictable, getting to know the characters and going along for the ride is what makes it so engaging.
Other than his ‘infamous’ The World According to Garp, I am new to Irving but plan to change that situation. On to Owen Meeny and Hotel New Hampshire. Have you any other suggestions?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In One Person.

David S. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is one of my all time favourite books ever. But, with Irving, two other greats are: "Cider House Rules" and "Until I find you". Also, his last book "Last Night in Twisted River" is fantastic.

message 2: by Lillian (last edited Apr 05, 2012 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lillian Thank you David. I am now even more eager to read "A Prayer for Owen Meany", and hope to get to your other suggestions as well.