Megan's Reviews > Number the Stars

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: newberry-books
Read on February 12, 2012

Part of my book goal this year is to read as many Newberry award winners that I can. Lois Lowry has written several children's books since 1977, many of then dealing with difficult subject matters. Her books remind me of some of my other favorite children's authors like Madeliene L'Engle and Susan Cooper.

Number the Stars is set in Denmark during the German occupation, the story is about two girls, Annemarie and her friend Ellen. In the beginning of the German occupation in Denmark the Danish Jews were not immediately targeted. We enter the story right on the cusp of when the Danish Jews fled Denmark for war neutral Sweden. Ellen's family is Jewish and Annemarie's family would do anything to help, even put themselves in danger. This story is short, easy to read, and ends well. It conveys an important message and history to young readers. There were few European countries who weren't touched by the war. Denmark gave itself up to Germany, unable to defend itself against the German army. What is so amazing to me is that thanks to the Danish resistance, nearly 7000 Danish Jews were able to flee to Sweden in the weeks that followed the Jewish New Year. Almost the entire population of Jews in Denmark, amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Number the Stars.