Kaede's Reviews > You Are Not Here

You Are Not Here by Samantha Schutz

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, more-than-i-expected, whiny-unlikable-heroines, i-love-a-guy-in-this-book, girl-is-too-in-love-to-do-shit, fantastic-characters, dark, signed-books
Recommended for: Fans of Ellen Hopkins
Read from June 14 to 17, 2012

3.5

Samantha Schutz delivers a powerful novel with You Are Not Here, showing us the painful aftermath of losing a loved one. I thought Ms. Schutz pulled everything off quite nicely, considering the fact that her book is written entirely in verse.

But despite being in verse, it took me longer than I anticipated to finish this book. Annaleah was a bit frustrating, and I wasn't use to the writing style. I guess I should put it out there that I'm not a very big fan of novels written in verse, as shown from the mediocre rating from the only other verse novel I ever read, which was Tricks. I don't have anything against novels told in verse, other than the fact that I feel we don't get as much as we could from an actual story.

You're probably thinking that just the format of this book should not have lowered my rating so much. And it didn't. What really put me on the fence was Annaleah. It was like experiencing an eternal battle within me as I tried to decide whether or not I liked her. I didn't like Annaleah's constant need to hold onto what remained of Brain, but in the same sense, I could see how realistic of a person she was. I could just about picture Annaleah as a real person, and that's a big achievement for any book.

And honestly, there was way too much Brain and way too little Ethan.

Ms. Schutz also does a fantastic job at writing a story that combines both the past and the present. I wasn't confused by anything, except maybe the dialogue sometimes. When the characters speak, sometimes what one person says can attach on to what someone else said. This may be the editor's fault, though.

You Are Not Here should appeal to fans of Ellen Hopkins, or any verse novel in particular. The characters are great and well layered, and in the end, You Are Not Here is a story that needs to be told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Not Here.

06/15/2012 page 90