MontiLee Stormer's Reviews > Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers

Dark Dreams by Brandon Massey

Jul 18, 08

bookshelves: audio
Recommended for: No One
Read in April, 2007

Dear god how I hated this book.

This was one of those listens/reads that makes me think that throwing enough pointless sex and swears into a book makes it publishable.

Tired is how I'd describe Zane's "Resident Evil" - the vampirism was yawn-inducing and the sex was tossed in because without it there's no story. Unfortunately with it, it reads a step below a Penthouse Forum Letter. Characters who seem dumber than a box of hair, and yet manage to have massive student loans. Thanks for not creating any characters we could actually get behind. Cringe-worthy is how I would described it - "I ran out of story and plot, how about we throw in some three-way sex." Could you at least make it ... I dunno - hot? It was also terribly long for not actually finishing, with extra "backstories" thrown in to pad it out. The scariest part was that Zane makes a living at this.

The best in the bunch were by Chesya Burke (He Who Takles Away The Pain), and Brandon Massey (Grandad's Garage), the editor. Two or three worthwhile stories out of twenty makes for a very long and disappointing anthology.

I can't recommend this book at all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Dreams.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannie (new) - added it

Jeannie Sloan Thanks for the review.I just got this book from the library and figure that I will just skim it and maybe read a few of the stories that other people and yourself liked.
-Jeannie