Laura (booksnob)'s Reviews > The Baker's Daughter

The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, humanities-reading-list, literature
Read from February 12 to 16, 2012

The Baker's Daughter is a novel that will warm your heart and tease your palate. Germany is a country of people with mountains of pride and a somewhat painful past. It is a country of beer, bratwurst, bread and war. Elsie, the baker's daughter lives in Garmisch, Germany during the second world war. Elsie is young and naive and becomes a witness to shocking horrors that she didn't believe Germans capable of.

Fast forward to El Paso, Texas in 2007 where we meet Elsie and her daughter Jane, as they are interviewed by local reporter, Reba Adams. Reba is drawn to these two women, their stories and of course their delicious baked goods. A picture hangs on the wall of Elsie and her mother on Christmas Eve, 1944, in Germany, and Reba is curious is about what really happened that night all those years ago. Reba has her own secrets that Elsie and Jane work to pry loose as they wonder why she wears her engagement ring around her neck.

To read my entire review please visit my book blog at http://www.booksnob-booksnob.blogspot...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker's Daughter.