All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Lord's Fall

Lord's Fall by Thea Harrison

Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in November, 2012

With LORD’S FALL Harrison proves that chemistry can get even hotter in life after Happily Ever After. The Elder Races series is so much more than your average Paranormal Romance, and with this fifth installment Harrison takes me back to my all time favorite couple, Dragos and Pia.

This next phase of the relationship between Pia and Dragos explores how they rub off on each other. Dragos is surprised by new emotional complications he’d never experienced before and Pia gets in touch with her own autocratic side. And as much as I adored the opportunity to see more of their romance, my curiosity about their unborn son just about overshadowed the central romance. And Harrison’s mythology means Pia can’t just slide into Dragos’s world without a hitch. There are secrets to be kept, egos to overcome, and with each of these conflicts I grew to love these characters more and more.

Dipping back into the world of Dragos and Pia was just as funny, sexy, and fascinating as I could have hoped and cemented my belief that Harrison’s Elder Races share more of a pedigree with Ilona Andrews’s Kate Daniels series or Patricia Briggs’s Mooncalled than any Paranormal Romance I can name. Don’t get me wrong, Harrison’s sex scenes are scorching hot, but the romance in these books grows organically alongside action and magic.

Whether you characterize the Elder Races as extra racy Urban Fantasy (or extra fantastic Paranormal Romance), LORD’S FALL is another example of interwoven mythology, relationship challenges, and friendships that create a wonderfully rich and satisfying story. In this book both Wyr and Elven society are highlighted, and the realistic rivalries, grudges, and reconciliations give the characters a depth that most Paranormal Romances gloss over. With so many layers to the interactions, Harrison keeps me guessing about future romances and conflicts. I can’t wait to see where this series goes next.

With Quentin, a Pegasus, and even abrasive Aryal, there are plenty of characters I’m eager to see again. LORD’S FALL proves that Harrison’s nuanced characters can more than handle encore appearances, and I’d love to see any of her past happy couples back in the spotlight. While each book manages to be a satisfying stand alone, events rumbling in the background promise big changes and conflicts on the horizon.

Years ago I rated DRAGON BOUND 4 bats, and time has proved it to be one of my favorite books (and a retroactive 5 bats in my estimation). With such solid characterization and plotting, I enjoy it more and more each time I reread it. While LORD’S FALL isn’t quite “buy a copy for everyone I know” 5 bats, past experience promises that I’ll be reading it again and again and loving every page of it.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord's Fall.