Rose's Reviews > White Horse

White Horse by Alex Adams

Feb 12, 2012

Read from February 12 to 14, 2012

If White Horse brings to mind a knight in shining armor coming to rescue the princess you're far from what this book is all about. If White Horse brings to mind Taylor Swift's song you're even further from it than before & you might as well give up & just read the book to find out. I loved everything about this dystopian/post-apocalyptic story. Where other books about similar topics fail this one triumphs: Zoe, the protagonist is extremely likable & as you read you want her to survive, to have a happy ending, whereas in other books the protagonist chick is always a whiny, cliched idiot whose interests lie more in whatever muscled lug is the hero of the story than in anything else & you half hope she gets eaten in the end or something. I liked that Zoe was strong but not unbelievable so, she had her vulnerabilities. She hurt, but worked through it in order to survive & help those she loved, she suffered losses, but they made her cling to her humanity more strongly rather than giving in to the darkness that took so many others. She loves, she fights, she protects, she grieves, she questions & most importantly she's humane & kind & persevering. The evil in this story is one of the best baddies I've encountered since The First on Buffy. It was evil but scary smart & sometimes even a bit funny, best of all it surprised me, I didn't guess who it was entirely & the outcome of its evilness on the population was a great sci-fi/horror type deal that was as interesting as it was creepy. To compliment a great story was fantastic writing. Adams has a way of phrasing things that flow so smoothly & made me actually reread certain sentences because they were so poetically fascinating. The last page brought the hugest smile to my face & the last sentence made me gasp out loud. Great ending! That there's 2 more books in the series is a great joy but it comes with a certain amount of trepidation. There's so much more that's bound to happen to Zoe. Sigh. As much as I look forward to reading the next 2 books I kind of wish it could just end here for Zoe & she could finally rest. The book is certainly good enough to stand alone without 2 more following it, but because I loved it so I'll await the next 2 anxiously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Horse.

02/12/2012 page 179