Jaime's Reviews > The Secret History of the Pink Carnation

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig

Jul 18, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, historical_mystery
Read in July, 2008

I adored this. From Eloise’s spunky confrontation with Colin over the family papers to her weakness for champagne to Amy and Jane’s scheming to the surprise of Miss Gwen to Richard’s family, this book was a jewel. I can’t believe it was out there for three years before I heard of it. I liked the fast pace and the humor, even during serious situations. Amy is independent and adventurous and not as smart as she needs to be, and it all adds to her charm. I wish we had gotten to know Jane a little better, but her story is still to come.

I chose a short passage to share that I thought captured the tone of the story perfectly:

Richard rather fancied the idea of springing out of a brandy barrel, rapier at the ready. “Not the vintage you were expecting, gentlemen?” he would drawl as he leaped out of the cask, brandishing the shining steel of his blade in their astonished faces. With a thrust to the left, and a stab to the right, he’d fight his way through the room, dueling personally with the man in charge, flipping his sword in an arc across the room. And then he’d deck the man guarding the gold with a quick uppercut, whirling to fight off the three men who’d jump on him from behind. He’d kick the first in the stomach, trip the second, and run through the third. And then he’d make some sort of witty remark. “Huzzah for the Purple Gentian!” his men would cheer.

If only it ever happened that way.

I guarantee I will be reading this series to its conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.