Alicia's Reviews > Queen of America

Queen of America by Luis Alberto Urrea

F 50x66
Feb 15, 2012

Read from February 12 to 15, 2012

Wow. This book really surprised me. I am new to this author. I had no preconceived notions of this book. I saw it on the shelf at the library in the new books section and thought, "Why not?" The beginning was hard to get into, but that is probably because I didn't read the first book.

The setting is vivid and lovely. The author is concise with his writting, but he still paints a wonderful picture of this world. And the discription of food! It made me so hungry. But I think the thing that really gave it the five stars are the characters. They have really stuck with me. I felt for Teresita and all of the ups and downs that she experienced. I hoped for her to find what she was looking for. Her life was a hard one, even at a time when most lived hard lives.

Overall fantastic book. I am excited to read some of this author's other books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of America.

02/12/2012 page 29
02/13/2012 page 68
18.0% "Is there a plot?"
02/14/2012 page 90
23.0% "I am starting to get the flow of the book. All the talk of food is making me hungry! I hope the two boys make a reappearance."
02/14/2012 page 166
43.0% "I feel almost bad for the girl. Seems like she just wants be a normal teenager but can't. Then she wants nothing to do with the revolution but keeps being dragged back into it."
02/15/2012 page 290
76.0% "Poor Teresita. I feel bad for her, but at the same time she was a little too trusting."
02/15/2012 page 400
100.0% "Okay, the page numbers on good reads are messed up. There are 485 pages."
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Luis (new)

Luis Alberto Aw, thank you so much. I appreciate a brave reader who will try someone new! And thanks for coming here and giving me a thumbs up.