Cristina's Reviews > Sector 7

Feb 12, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, picture-books
Read in February, 2012

Text Summary
The opening scene of this wordless picture book depicts a group of students filing into the Empire State Building for a class field trip on a very foggy day. Once on the observation deck, a young boy meets a friendly cloud who invites the boy to a place in the sky called Sector 7, a station where many other clouds come and go. At this station, there are human workers who design the shape and format that each cloud must conform to before they are released into the sky. The clouds, unhappy with these restrictions, appeal to the young boy for help. The young boy draws new designs in the forms of various tropical fish. The human workers are unhappy with this change and try to destroy the young boy’s designs. However, upon his return home, the young boy and others around him are excited to see the sea of tropical fish clouds floating through the sky above.

Literary merits
On the back cover of the book, the publisher writes, “David Weisner’s books reflect his interest in things that are, or might be, in the sky...He visited the Empire State Building on a zero-visibility day to research this book.” Weisner’s depiction of the fog in his illustrations helps to transport the reader into this fantasy cloud world where the reader can imagine, as Weisner does, the thing that might be in the sky. It reminds me of Alice falling down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland. As Alice tumbles down the hole, the fantasy begins, and as the young boy finds himself lost in the fog, he encounters his cloud friend, thus beginning the fantasy. The movement portrayed through Weisner’s illustrations creates a movie-like experience for the reader—the pictures are not isolated and disconnected, but just the opposite. They are unified and connected, allowing for a fluid reading of the text. Weisner also uses comic-like panels to focus the reader in on certain images, which helps the reader to navigate the story.

Classroom Recommendations
Ages 4 and up. This text allows for so many different kinds of teaching opportunities—reading, writing, art, science etc. Thsi text can serve as a great resource for ELL students in helping them to construct their voices through storytelling and writing. Students can practice and better understand making predictions and inferences through analyzing the illustrations. They can practice narrative perspective through writing the text for Sector 7. They can learn more about cloud formations in science. They can make their own cloud designs in art. There are so many activities that can accompany a reading of this text. Aside from activities, rich discussions can develop from reading this text, including themes of non-conformity, being unique, expressing yourself, etc. (The clouds don’t want to all be shaped the same way!)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sector 7.

message 1: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Cristina, thank you for such a well written review. I also think very highly of Wiesner's work. Your description about the flow of his art work really captures how the reader feels they are part of a movie in motion. Your recommendations for classroom activities also makes teachers aware of the numerous uses of his books. A must have in any teachers' library!

message 2: by L12_sarah (new)

L12_sarah I seem to be making my way slowly through all of David Wiesner's books and am loving all of them! If you haven't read it yet, Cristina, I recommend Max & Art , a Wiesner book that I read for this week. It too has illustrations that, as you say, tell a unified story. What I love about Wiesner's books is the amount of imagination and creativity he has, which is often evident in his illustrations. I love that he challenges readers to see things in a completely different way (clouds with feelings that are nonconformist?!) because that enables readers to gain a new perspective on life. For children, I think that it is especially important to show the value of imagination and "crazy" ideas coming to life, since crazy ideas often become awesome, practical ones.

L12_danielle Wonderful review, Cristina! Wiesner's books are captivating, intellectual and full of imagination. I was happy to have the opportunity to study him for this class and am quite impressed with the high calibur of literature that he has produced.

L12_danielle caliber*