Elizabeth Gorski's Reviews > Something Different

Something Different by S.A. Reid

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: short-stories, reviewed
Read from February 02 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

When Michael Maquire sets out to find a bit of adventure and change in the arms of a female prostitute, he winds up pleasantly surprised when things take a very different turn and he finds himself with a "rent boy", James Campbell. Michael is even more surprised when he and James discover that maybe there's not only Something Different, but also something more...

Wow.

That was the first word that came to mind when I finished Something Different. I was floored. When I first agreed to read and review Something Different, I first checked out what other genre of books S.A. Reid had written. Her books all seemed to be right up my alley, romance and “cozy mysteries” as she calls them. That’s what I was prepared for, a “cozy mystery” or perhaps your stereotypical romance novella. Boy, oh boy, was I surprised.

I’m going to be completely honest here; the first 10-15 pages are not what I’d call your stereotypical romance novel. Something Different starts out a little faster with some graphic sexual encounters, that I wasn’t prepared for. Though graphic, they weren’t written distastefully. Nor were they written in a “frilly, froo-froo, over-the-top girlie” style either. They were, what they were, a few encounters between two people with the possibility and potential for more. S.A. Reid’s obvious talent shown through in every scene and every exchange, making her characters seem all the more real. As if, they truly were people I could bump into on the street.

In end, when I reached that last line of Something Different, and had my “Wow” moment, I was thrilled book. Something Different definitely lives up to its name. It is “something different”. From beginning to end, S.A. Reid delivers a well-written novella about life, love and learning how to get the most out of both; consequences be damned. And in the end, without realizing it, romance is what I got; it just wasn’t delivered in the package I was expecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Different.