Carol's Reviews > Old Loves Die Hard

Old Loves Die Hard by Lauren Carr

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: 2012, thrillers-mysteries
Read in June, 2012

'Old Loves Die Hard" by Lauren Carr started off as a page turner but I soon got bogged down. If the author had found a way to cut down on the suspects and the intricate of the crimes, I would be giving this book a much higher rating.

It hurts to do that because I really love the main characters, Mac Faraday who used to be a poor homicide detective and his girlfriend Archie Monday, a mystery writer. But most of all, Gnarly, a 100 pound German Shepherd who was incredibly smart and endearing is the one that won my heart. I won't mind having him living with me! Even when this dog committed a robbery of a pet store, I loved this dog!

There was enough background in this book to be able to read it without reading the first in the series, ‘It’s Murder, My Son’. I never felt lost because of that. But the story was so complicated that I felt I should have drawn some diagrams to see who is connected to whom. I didn’t count how many suspects there were and after a while I could only tell the main characters apart. If I was talking to the author, I would say that you can really write and develop the characters, but please make the story simpler.

The author did describe the settings beautifully and paid attention to what the characters ate and what clothes they wore. The clothes and food gave clues to the characters’ personalities. There was a bit of humor in the story and each character was very different from the others. But the complexity of the book took some of the enjoyment of the story away from the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Loves Die Hard.

06/13/2012 page 14