Patty's Reviews > Infidel

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

1020899
For me, this is not a book I can say that I really liked. It was too difficult to read about Hirsi Ali's life and say I liked her book. She has been through things I can't even imagine in my safe place. I will say that my world view would be much poorer without this autobiography. It made a big impression on me and reinforced my conviction that I don't know much about the world. I was not even really sure where Somalia is before I picked up this memoir.

Not only my view of the world was broadened by Hirsi Ali, but my view of Islam was changed. Ever since 9/11, I have paid more attention to this religion, but Hirsi Ali has made me more concerned about the tenets of this faith. I will need to keep reading.

Our book group had a good discussion which started with Hirsi Ali and then roamed all over the world and the political spectrum. I am very grateful to the woman who suggested this book - I would not have read it without her prompting.

Hirsi Ali has come a long way since her birth in Somalia. Not only has she lived in at least five countries, but she has become educated, lost her religious beliefs and had a political impact on the world discussion of Islam.

I recommend this book for history buffs, for people who want to know more about Islam or Africa, for feminists and more conservative folk. If you pick it up - push through to the second part - the first section is painful to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infidel.