Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Darkest Knight

Darkest Knight by Karen Duvall

Mar 11, 12

Read on February 15, 2012

3.5 out of 5 stars

When I first read Knight's Curse last year, I thought the book was unique, full of interesting characters, and the lead character, Chalice, was fascinating. Book 2 was not unique and it wasn't as addicting as book 1. Nevertheless, I did enjoy it. While the uniqueness was gone, the storyline held my attention.

Chalice, a member of the Hatchet Knights, is trying to save Aydin in the opening pages of Darkest Knight. If you haven’t read book 1, none of this will make sense. It’s hard to make sense even with reading book 1. Aydin is now a gargoyle and it will take a gargoyle's heart to save Aydin. Make sense? It will, just roll with me.

So Chalice is doing what she can to save the gargoyle man she loves. Chalice still has all her super cool powers and thanks to Rafe, now doesn’t have to use her nose and ear plugs and contacts.

Once we get the Aydin-the-gargoyle problem resolved, you need to have a new problem, and Chalice finds plenty of those in Darkest Knight. What I did like about book 2 is the further exploration behind the Hatchet Knights. The Hatchet Knights are being killed and it will take Chalice, and her cast of crazy characters, to figure out what and/or who is doing the killing. Along the way we learn more about the Knight’s history and also some interesting traditions that Chalice is expected to continue (cue the potential love triangle mess)

Overall

While the book didn’t “wow” me like book 1, it was interesting enough to keep me reading. I think the series has more strengths than weaknesses and I’ll keep reading.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Knight.

02/15/2012
61.0% "I really like this series. I'm surprised that my love for book 1 wasn't felt as much by other reviewers. This book is very easy to read, tons of action. The very beginning was a bit sad regarding Aydin's gargoyle." 3 comments

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I need to "find" the first book since my library doesnt carry it. It's on the InterLibrary Loan System so maybe!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "I need to "find" the first book since my library doesnt carry it. It's on the InterLibrary Loan System so maybe!"

Yeah, you'll have to read book 1 to understand book 2, there are so many characters. Be warned though, my gushing book 1 review was not supported by many.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews HA! Like that has ever stopped me!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "HA! Like that has ever stopped me!"

true! very true.

message 5: by Rane (new)

Rane I read the first few chapters of this book and happily put it aside. I just didn't grab me like the first book did sadly- but I hope to finish reading it (sometime this year :P)