Josh's Reviews > Malabarista

Malabarista by Garry Ryan
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malabarista.

Neet Why did you rate this book in the series one star, I've just purchased this book and I'm a big fan of Garry Ryan's mysteries.

Josh People have different opinions about what makes a good book, right?

I intensely disliked this one, however one star is probably too harsh. I'll probably change it to three, since that's a more accurate objective reflection of how it ranks compared to other books in the genre.

Unfortunately this was my first introduction to the series. Not being invested in the characters (or even mildly interested) I found all the personal and private life trauma/drama off-putting in the extreme. 65 pages into the book the primary focus is still on Lane's depression and Arthur's breast cancer.

I found the writing blunt and unsubtle with many redundant asides and statements of the obvious.

message 3: by Neet (last edited Mar 05, 2012 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neet I agree that people have different opinions and you're entitled to yours, I was just wondering why you gave the book one star without a review. I still plan to read this book because I like this series and I like the characters who use their brains and are mature don't play revolving beds.

Josh Neet wrote: "I agree that people have different opinions and you're entitled to yours, I was just wondering why you gave the book one star without a review. I still plan to read this book because I like this se..."

Sure! I definitely wouldn't let someone else's review stop me from enjoying a series I liked.

message 5: by Neet (last edited Mar 05, 2012 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neet I also just realized that you are one of the author's who I absolutley adore! I love your Adrien English series and actually cried when I lost the paperbacks in a move. I did replace them and have them on a growing list of books to read again (they're that good)....

Josh Neet wrote: "I also just realized that you are one of the author's who I absolutley adore! I love your Adrien English series and actually cried when I lost the paperbacks in a move. I did replace them and have ..."

That's very kind of you to say. Thank you!

By the way, I just ordered Ryan's first book in the series. I've heard such good things about it that I'm curious to see if it will change my feelings about this one.

Neet Please let me know if you like the first of Ryan's books in his series,I'm reading it again and find myself laughing because he has such funny/weirdly sad characters in it.