Chance Maree's Reviews > The Last Kingdom

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell

Dec 01, 2012

bookshelves: kindle, historical
Read from November 19 to 26, 2012

I'm becoming a fan of historical fiction but have not read enough to offer comparisons or to have developed a distinguishing palate. Nonetheless, I found The Last Kingdom interesting. There was gore galore, and very little romanticism of the age. One gold nugget I'll take away from this story is its insight into the psyche of a warrior--the drive, the blood lust of battle, the song of the sword -- I can't say I've understood as well as after having read this novel.

The central theme of The Saxon Stories revolves here, around King Alfred. This was a fascinating period of history--the invasion of England by the Danes. The brutality of the age has sharpened my appreciation of the difficulty with civilizing our species. Every gain in an evolved and peaceful consciousness has been hard fought. This fictional walk through history has whetted my appetite for more.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Kingdom.

11/20/2012 page 10
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Chance Maree Steve wrote: "This sounds like a really fun way to learn some Old English history. I have read a couple of his Sharpe's books and really enjoyed them."

Have you read Conn Iggulden? His series on Genghis Khan is amazing. I believe Conn was inspired by Cornwell, or vice versa.

Jason Golomb Iggulden's Khan series is terrific. He lists Cornwell as one of his favorite authors, and you can see the obvious connection.

Chance Maree Jason wrote: "Iggulden's Khan series is terrific. He lists Cornwell as one of his favorite authors, and you can see the obvious connection."

Wolf Hall is on my reading list too. Lots of great historical fiction out there.