Cecilia Robert's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, historical, galley

All I can say is ‘wow’. Among the historical paranormals, none of them come close to Firelight.
Lord Benjamin Archer is a tortured soul, a loner, and lives with what considers a curse. He wears a mask to cover what that curse did to him. Miranda can command, manipulate and control fire. Archer and Miranda meet one day in an alley as Miranda is confronted by some boys (Archer jumps in to rescue her, although she is capable of defending herself).

Three years later, unable to stay away from Miranda, Archer offers for her hand in marriage, and of course Miranda’s father who is chin-high in debt agrees. Miranda has her own reasons for agreeing to marry Archer.
As the story progresses, we get to see how Archer adores her, although he is scared of losing her, once she sees what lies behind the masks. He’s also terrified of what his hands would do to her once he touches her, as he has inhuman strength. Miranda is scared of what Archer will think when he finally discovers what she is, what she can do. The sexual tension between these two builds up, the longing, the desire.
In the midst of their attraction to each other, someone is going around killing Archer’s friends, and all the evidence points to him. He is intent on finding out who it is. And so does Miranda.
The characters, even the minor ones were wonderfully created, pacing was good. Oh, and the desperation, desire and sense of urgency between Archer and Miranda.
One of very wonderful dialogues, and believe me they are a number of them.

When she moved to kiss him, he cupped her face in his hands, and his gray eyes searched her face as if to commit it to memory. “Know this, there is only one truth left in me.” His trembling fingertips caressed her jaw. “That I love you.” He said it again, his voice broken, his arms pulling her tightly against him. “I love you. The rest is darkness.”

Her fingers curled around the smooth swells of his biceps. “Then let me be your light.”

Archer shuddered, dragging an open-mouthed kiss across her cheek to claim her lips. “Always, Miri.” He grew tighter, colder in her arms. “All that I am, all that I become is for you.”

I can’t wait to read the second book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.