Seawood's Reviews > Shade's Children

Shade's Children by Garth Nix

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi, young-adult, kindle, 2012-200-books-challenge
Read from February 12 to 13, 2012

An absolutely relentless dystopia. If you liked The Hunger Games and the Monsters of Men series, you may well like this; but be warned, there's very little in the way of redemption, human connection or joy-in-the-little-things here. It is seriously bleak and it never lets up for a moment. This is hard, unlovely, unpatronising sci-fi in a kill or be killed world where *everything* is out to get you. It is aimed at a YA audience and honestly, the reviews here make me laugh when they give warnings about "the sex" - truly very little and the safe sex message is very clear. I for one am delighted to see the issue treated as a regular, ordinary part of every day life even in the hellish setting of this novel; too many YA books set it up as untouchable or so syrupy it makes your teeth hurt. Teenagers screw, get over it. Big props to Nix for acknowledging young people's sexuality without making a huge issue of it (though it is only heterosexuality, there's not much time to explore anything else!).

I rate it four stars because it reads as though an editor has taken too hefty an axe to it - like there should be more backplot/exposition/character development. I'd like to see a "director's cut" version one day.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shade's Children.

02/12/2012