Amanda's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, adult-non-fiction
Read from February 12 to 20, 2012

Brings alive the desperation and hopelessness of life in a Mumbai Slum.

Its fascinating, so worth reading and images and will stay with you long after finishing it, but it leaves me with even less desire to visit India than I had before reading it. Its not uplifting or hopeful in any way but I think the authors goal here was to report what she observed, not to put her own opinion or emotions into the mix. Despite what some reviewers have said, to me this does not read like fiction at all. With its impartial observer tone it reads like a piece of excellent Journalism which, with the authors background of being a pulitzer winning journalist makes sense.
Even 'though I admired her ability to embed herself in this world and produce such a honest description of a slum dwellers life. I found myself wondering about the other book Katherine Boo must have tucked away in her brain after her 3 years observing life in the Beautiful Forevers.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.