Mimi Smith's Reviews > Playing for Keeps

Jul 17, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read on February 12, 2012

5 stars

It's been a long time since I've loved a book this much, so I'm spreading the word!

You know how they say "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, let's be honest:We all do. A pretty cover will get me to buy a book faster than a tempting blurb. I know, I know-it could be just me and my shallowness or I'm a plain old book cover snob, but it's a fact of life. Now, if this book wasn't recommended to me I never would've picked it up. So, to all my GR friends who share my book cover predicament, make an exception in this case 'cause this book rocks!

What to say, what to say about this one...Well, firstly this book is funny as hell. It kind of reminds me of Shelly Laurenston's books, only without the shifter part. You should be warned, if you don't know what that indicates, it means Jason is often childish, petulant, goofball charming, headstrong and OBSESSED WITH FOOD AND HALEY. He's simply adorable... And he's a teacher, too. So is Haley, to think of it.

“How dare you touch my cookies, you bastard!” Jason said in utter disgust before popping the cookie into his mouth and heading back to his house.
“Damn those looked good, too,” Brad grumbled.
Haley sighed. “Don’t worry I have a second plate on my counter.” The words were barely out of her mouth when Jason abruptly changed course and headed towards her house.
“Well, there was,” she said, watching Jason walk into her house like he owned it. A minute later he walked out of her house, carrying both plates and the gallon of milk she had in her fridge. He headed back to his house, but not before he glared at Brad. “You cookie thieving bastard,” they heard him mutter.
Brad rolled his eyes, chuckling. “And people wonder how I lost weight rooming with him in college.”

"Jason rolled his eyes as he jumped to his feet. “I think calling any of them my girlfriends is a bit of an exaggeration. I rather you stick with referring to them as ‘the women who agreed to having a good time with no strings attached who got really pissed off at me when I got bored and left them for someone hotter.’”
“Wow, that’s a mouthful,” Brad murmured. “And surprising none of them has killed you yet."

"I hate you," Haley mumbled, storming past him to grab a carriage.
"You love and adore me," Jason informed her as he deftly snagged her carriage away from her and headed towards the men's department."

I can't remember the last time I've laughed this much while reading a book. There are a lot of ridiculous situations, but...It's great.

I like Haley, too. I think she deals with the Hurricane That Is Jason admirably well. By that I mean she knows the way through his heart is through his stomach and that sometimes men are best ignored. She's a bit mousy, used to derision and snubs from her family, so being with a hot guy like Jason, wasn't something she thought would happen, but they came by it honestly. From enemies to buddies to a couple. YAY!!!!!!

I loved these scenes...

"Soon he was picturing little girls with mischievous green eyes and pigtails asking him to play tea. Of course he'd bring real food to the tea party. None of that pretend food bullshit for his little girls.
By the time Haley had stopped for breakfast he'd been calmer about everything. He'd already decided to ignore that breakup nonsense. It was just ridiculous and he knew sooner or later Haley would realize that so they could get started on making their all girl baseball team."

"This is kidnapping!" she sputtered in disbelief.
"No, it's not."
"Yes, it is!"
"Nope."
"What the hell would you call it?" she demanded, snatching his soda from him and finishing it off.
"A romantic getaway?"

Now, I'll lay off the quotes, since I've been obsessively marking them in the book, lol.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was his family's reaction to their dating. The You Don't Deserve Her was a bit too much.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!
90 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Keeps.

02/12 page 150
68.0% "So, so, so funny! Loving it. Jason reminds me of Shelly Laurenston's heroes." 3 comments
03/07 marked as: read

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Mimi! I so agree what you said about the book covers! I'll be reading it too since everyone seems to love it.

Mimi Smith Baba wrote: "Great review, Mimi! I so agree what you said about the book covers! I'll be reading it too since everyone seems to love it."

Thanks! It's a really good book and you should read it:). As long as you don't expect something overly serious, you're in for a treat. As to book covers, this one is way too bland and generic...A book cover is the first thing that attracts me to a book. Now, that there's GR, other factors like recs and good reviews from my friends prevail, but it's still a major factor for me. I think the author or the publishing house need to improve it...

message 3: by Catherine (last edited Feb 12, 2012 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine You're right, the quote you included does read like Laurenston. I love her style so I'm going to have to check this out.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) LOL...Jason sounds like lion-shifter Mitch Shaw from SL's The Mane Attraction. :)

message 5: by Searock (last edited Feb 12, 2012 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Searock The quotes were awesome Mimi!

Laura can't beat the 0.99 price either! Getting this because of your review :)

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "LOL...Jason sounds like lion-shifter Mitch Shaw from SL's The Mane Attraction. :)"

Yes, that's exactly it! The obsession with food and the craziness is spot on:). I loved this book.

@Catherine-it's very similar IMO

Mimi Smith Searock wrote: "The quotes were awesome Mimi!

Must look into this SL author-person. Oh Gawd. Another pile of books to throw on the mountain."

I have the same problem with my TBR pile. No matter how much I read it constantly grows!

And I really did try to restrain myself with the quotes. They were all so damn funny!

Mimi Smith Laura wrote: "can't beat the 0.99 price either! Getting this because of your review :)"

Aww, now I'm anxiously waiting to see if you like it. As long as you don't expect anything serious, you're set!:)

Nikki I adored this Mimi! So glad that you did too. :)

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Nikki wrote: "I adored this Mimi! So glad that you did too. :)"

Yep, I liked it a lot. More than the 2nd one...

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Totally agree about the cover - Normally I wouldn't have considered looking twice at this because cover looks so boring but as so many of my friends here on GR is talking about it I think I my jump in and see what the raving is all about ☺☺

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Dee wrote: "Totally agree about the cover - Normally I wouldn't have considered looking twice at this because cover looks so boring but as so many of my friends here on GR is talking about it I think I my jump..."

Oh, please do. What to say-we're all shallow when it comes to the covers;). It's good, though...

message 14: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Love your review. I will check this out soon! Thanks, Mimi!

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Kay wrote: "Love your review. I will check this out soon! Thanks, Mimi!"

Thank you, Kay:).

I hope you like it...

Laura Thanks for recommending this!! So funny, they should make it into a movie!

message 17: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Laura wrote: "Thanks for recommending this!! So funny, they should make it into a movie!"

Well, I'm glad you like it.
The books are cutesy, right?

Laura Mimi wrote: "Laura wrote: "Thanks for recommending this!! So funny, they should make it into a movie!"

Well, I'm glad you like it.
The books are cutesy, right?"

Super!!! I love it! I was totally in the mood for something light like this, and the dialogue really has me laughing out loud, especially with the food obessions lol.

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Laura wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Laura wrote: "Thanks for recommending this!! So funny, they should make it into a movie!"

Well, I'm glad you like it.
The books are cutesy, right?"

Super!!! I love it! I was totally ..."

Yeah, these are really feel-good, laugh out loud books. They're meant to be silly, so you just accept the silly behaviour...

Duchess Melissa of Allanbury Sold...i'm going to read this book

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Duchess Melissa of Allanbury wrote: "Sold...i'm going to read this book"

OK, just as long as you don't expect something serious, it's good :)

Laura I'm on to the next one! Perfection You didn't like this one as much right?

message 23: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Laura wrote: "I'm on to the next one! Perfection You didn't like this one as much right?"

No, but I have a friend who liked it better. I just had a problem with some of the Hero's thoughts/stances, especially regarding the heroine, at the beginning.

Laura I'll keep reading and see :) I love Jason, he is so funny! Even in the second one!

message 25: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Laura wrote: "I'll keep reading and see :) I love Jason, he is so funny! Even in the second one!"

Yes, he is. Especially the "sexual harassment" charges. Loved that moment!

Laura Oh me too!!! So so funny!! I finished last night and I agree with your opinion Mimi! Liked book one much better :) but this was still entertaining.

message 27: by D.G. (new) - rated it 3 stars

D.G. Your review just made me get the book, Mimi. :)

message 28: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "Your review just made me get the book, Mimi. :)"

I hope you like it, then *bites nails*

Just, keep in mind, the silliness is very present and it's meant to be that way;)

Alicia J What a great review. I just went directly to amazon and bought the book. And the fact that it was .99 cents just made it that much better. Thanks for the tip!

message 30: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Alicia wrote: "What a great review. I just went directly to amazon and bought the book. And the fact that it was .99 cents just made it that much better. Thanks for the tip!"

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it :)