Raymond's Reviews > Raylan

Raylan by Elmore Leonard

Feb 19, 12

Read in February, 2012

I love Elmore Leonard. Justified is probably my favorite show on right now. This book sounded like it would be a dream come true - Raylan Givens comes back home to his creator. I was looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on this as soon as I saw it announced. My copy came in at the library and I grabbed it and flew through it in three lunch breaks. Calling it a disappointment is an understatement. Instead of a great twisty typical Leonard novel focusing on Raylan, we are given three short stories that have been loosely braided into a novel. This is the weakest Leonard work I've read in a loooooong time. There's practically no zip to the dialogue (compared to the usual Leonard standards), most of the character moments are cribbed from the TV show (maybe the book was written first, but I don't know that) and the whole thing just felt rushed. Raylan just reads like a quickie TV show tie-in novel. The last third was definitely the best. Or maybe it just felt that way as it bore no resemblance to a plot point or character beat from the TV show. Fans of both incarnations of Raylan Givens deserve better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raylan.