Sherry's Reviews > The Hunger Games

Apr 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: awc
Read from April 02 to 04, 2012

I was wary of this book, as I am of most books that are omnipresent, but I finally gave in when one of my much more senior friends, a grandmother, read this at the recommendation of her grandchildren and told me she was surprised to find that she really, really enjoyed it. Since this friend of mine has pretty decent taste in books, I considered this an endorsement not to be sneezed at. When my American Women's Club library bought it, there were no more excuses to not read it.

Let me just get this out of the way: I liked this book. I like dystopian stories and films. I enjoyed the author's writing style.

With that being said, I knew everything about the story and the ending before I had even read the synopsis on the back cover. Just the snippets I had seen advertising the film told me everything I needed to know. This book has gone nowhere other dystopian tales have not gone before. The training of the children for the Hunger Games echoed the training of the children in Ender's Game. The televised entertainment of the rich/elite/in control by the poor/oppressed/victimized in fights to the death was a near duplication of The Running Man (also a film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger).

This book offers yet another dystopian take on where our ever-increasing levels of boredom and apathy will take us in our thirst for new and thrilling entertainment. The Romans had their gladiators, and apparently the future earthlings will have theirs, too. Is this series a new, thinly veiled judgment of reality television, or a tired rerun of human baseness? I don't know, but I will definitely be finishing the series and seeing the film.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

04/03/2012 page 166
44.0% "So far, all I see are rip-offs of "The Running Man" and "Ender's Game"..." 1 comment