Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Mac's Law

Mac's Law by Sarah McCarty

Dec 07, 08

bookshelves: erotica, 2008-reads
Read in December, 2008

Well now. How to describe "Mac's Law" by Sarah McCarty? It's assuredly erotica, of that there is no doubt. There's quite the array of sexual acts described in graphic detail. You've got yer oral, anal, & vaginal sex, you've got self-pleasure, twosomes, and a threesome! There's also emotion and feelings, BUT...there were also a few things that just 'rubbed' me the wrong way (pun fully intended).

Jessica is a technical virgin (more on that later) who has spent the last ten years caring for a failing parent which left no time for 'boyfriends' or relationships. Now she's free and 200 percent ready to make up for lost time. She even has a list of the sexual acts she intends to try which she's added to during extensive reading over her 'dry' years!

Mac is a sexy, dominant (in every way) rancher. When he realizes the cook he hired (J.C.) is actually a young, attractive woman, he's not happy. Especially since he's so very attracted to her. Mac's mother suffered from depression and eventually committed suicide and Mac is convinced it was the isolation and loneliness of ranching life that caused her death. So he has no intention of taking on this city girl, even if she thinks she can handle it.

All right. The upside is that Sarah McCarty can write some of the most scorching sex scenes to hit the pages of a book. I guarantee you will be 'hot and bothered' from at least one of the myriad sex scenes in this book. I also liked the fact that this book is a full novel, 352 pages! So you certainly get your money's worth.

The downside. I think this was likely written earlier in McCarty's career as the characters aren't as realistically developed as in her later books. Jessica is very small compared to Mac, and Mac is apparently hung like the proverbial horse, yet Jessica is obsessed with anal sex. She also takes to dominance, spankings, and light pain like a horse to water and I find that hard to believe for a virgin, even a well-read one. Mac is a fantastic Alpha master, attuned to his woman and her pleasure. BUT, he's also a moron at times. Call me elitist, but I absolutely HATE when Alphas get stupid. His inability to cope with his mother's death and over-protectiveness were just a bit too much for me.

Having said all this, I did enjoy the book. It won't be a keeper for me, but I am glad I read it. And if the things I mentioned above won't bug you, and you're looking for a veritable feast of sex...this is surely the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mac's Law.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee LOL Julie! I love it! Everything you said is so true! This book actually bored me after a while--too much sex and not enough character development. Although she does write a helluva sex scene...:)

Heather Well said JJ!! I agree with everything you said! ;)

H

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen I totally agree with this review. This book didn't do much for me either. I don't think it's "bad" writing...I think it's just not my style. I have a hard time suspending disbelief while reading SMcC's books.

message 4: by Kathrynn (last edited Dec 07, 2008 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kathrynn I did not like this book for the reasons you said. Too unrealistic...(blech!)

MK (Food actvist) Is this apart of the Hell's 8 series?

Auntee I'll butt in and answer....No Kenjii, it's not-- it's a stand alone, although I thought I read somewhere (her website?) that there may be some follow-up books.

Kathrynn ...and it's set in modern times.

Julie (jjmachshev) yes..this is definitely a stand-alone. Altho there are a couple of characters in it whose stories I would like to read :)