Linda Rollins's Reviews > Ferney

Ferney by James Long

Feb 12, 12

Read in February, 2012

An extraordinary story from start to finish.

A young woman, with a variety of neuroses, and her husband buy an old, tumble-down cottage because it 'feels right' to her. Along comes an old man named 'Ferney' with a very strange story to tell. The long-suffering husband doesn't get along with Ferney and vice-versa; we find out why as the story moves us along.

The circumstances of this love story could have made for some very uncomfortable reading, but it was written with such delicacy and a real feeling for that deeper spiritual love that it was never awkward. I would never pick up a 'romantic' novel as such but this book has a haunting twist to it which makes it quite unique and all the more moving.

An added bonus is the brilliantly executed look at history from a 'real life' perspective, drawing the reader into times gone by in a way that brings the past closer than ever before. It makes history real, and surprisingly recent.

This is a book I will keep on my shelf and would hope to read again and again. The ending has left a door or two open and it would be a delight to see a follow up to this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ferney.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela The sequel is called "The Lives She Left Behind" !!

Linda Rollins Thank you .. that's fantastic news. I shall look out for it.