Nightfalltwen's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant

May 03, 09

bookshelves: teen
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

When I first saw this book at the bookstore it was back before the last Twilight book came out. They'd made up this display of "Teen Fiction that will keep you happy while you wait for sparkly vampires" books. I read the inside flap, decided that I might read it one day. And the promptly forgot.

Mostly because I wasn't in or around a bookstore very much at that point.

Now I've finally read it and I have to say Kudos to Michael Grant for a really excellent read.

What I like the most about it is that it completely mirrors Lord of the Flies but in a way that makes the whole "children trying to form a society" situation so much more entertaining to take in. This time it's a little different. You don't have a group of children almost all the same age. There are babies and toddlers and these poor thirteen, fourteen and near-fifteen year old kids have to not only take care of themselves but also the kids who can't.

So in a way, this book explores so much more than Lord of the Flies.

There were lots of twists and turns in the story. As soon as I thought I'd figured out one thing, Grant went and threw me something new to chew on. I like it when an author does that. Like a lot.

Adding in the mutations brings a new sort of problem that these kids are going to have to deal with in the FAYZ. I'm glad I read Gone at this point. Had I read it back when I'd first picked it up I would have been so irritated at the long wait for book number two.

Definitely going to be something I read a second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

04/26/2009 page 88