Paradoxical's Reviews > Winter Door

1964421
Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in February, 2012

I love these books. It's official. I'm not even sure why I love them so much, other than they tug on my heart and it's just so much wholesome adventurousness that it makes me do happy dances inside. I do have little issues with them, but they're small, niggling things that don't matter much at all.

What I think I like most about them is the imagination that's put into each one. Winter Door definitely does not disappoint in this aspect. Rage is back at home and Billy is just a dog again, and her mother is still in the hospital. Her uncle is staying with Rage and taking care of her, but he's virtually a stranger that she barely ever talks to. On top of that, the weather is strange. Snow and cold, nonstop. Then the firecat shows up again, strange creatures are roaming the area, and Rage suddenly has the ability to go to the other world in her sleep.

You meet the old characters from the previous book and years have passed (compared to the few months in Rage's world). What was fascinating to read was how different and the same every character is. You could sense that they grew and lived their lives past the last book, and they're slightly different in very good ways. The adventure that Rage and Billy launch themselves into is urgent, but they're brave and everyone is there to help and it just makes you feel rather warm and fuzzy inside.

I do wish we could learn more about some people. Rage's uncle, for instance. The wizard. I'd love to know much more about the Stormlord. Heck, even Rage's mom. But I suppose that's a sign of a good writer, to leave the reader wanting more about everything, even when it's not strictly necessary to the plot.

I enjoyed this book as much as I did the last, if not more so. 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Door.