Sophie's Reviews > Touch of Frost

Apr 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: first-book-series, 2011, reviewed, fantasy-paranormal
Read from March 22 to 29, 2012

Lately I've started reading books that have a great deal of mythology, and you know what? I love it. When I was little it was a fascinating subject for me, and I'm glad my passion is returning. And I know I'm just starting to discover all the awesomeness! And as such, Touch of Frost didn't let me down a bit in this. Sometimes it got a little confusing, but it was the way the main character felt, so I can't say much about it. I'm dying to discover more of that world in the next book! Oh, and did I mention it's in a school? That, in my opinion, made it even better.

I had a couple of issues with the main character, Gwen. I liked her concept; kick-ass heroine with her not-so-normal gift called psychometry that enables her to know everything that's happened involving that particular object or person, if it's the case. But, to me, it seemed like she was always scoffing at everybody. Almost to the point of being disrespectful. For example: there was a girl in her school that supposedly slept around a lot. Okay, but calling her "slut" every time? And if two people were kissing, they were "sucking face". I don't know, but for me it seemed too much.

In the midst of it all there is Logan Quinn, a Spartan (the deadliest kind of mythic warrior). I liked reading about him (who wouldn't? A hot guy that knows how to fight!). Sadly, their romance seemed too forced. Gwen hated him at first, and then she suddenly was in love for him. Simply... no. And him? During the book it seemed like he liked her, but in the end, out of the blue, he's cold towards her. Yep, I felt puzzled.

All in all, loved the world and the setting, but the characters and the love story could have been better. Nonetheless, I'm curious to know how it will turn out and to know more about their world! So I guess I'll be reading the next one. I hope Gwen won't seem like such a hater and the romance gets better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Frost.

03/22/2012