Alicia's Reviews > Confessions of a Shopaholic

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Jul 18, 08

did not like it
Recommended for: absolutely NO ONE.

I really hate slamming books, really I do. This book is the typical chick-lit that I've grown to love, and to be fair, it's a quick read.

But, my praise stops there.

The main character of this book, Rebecca Bloomwood, is the most annoying, daft, and ridiculous character I have ever had the misfortune to read about. I understand that she's a "shopaholic", but I've had quite a few friends who fell into that catagory that were never in danger of being as simple-minded and arrogant as Rebecca.

Every time I put this book down, I find myself angry. My forehead is wrinkled, and I'm snapping at my innocent boyfriend.

Why?

I'll give you a hint: It isn't because I'm upset at having to put the book down!

All I can tell you is that unless you, yourself, are ignorant, incredibly stupid, deceitful, materialistic, dishonest, and rude...you will find nothing to associate with in Becky Bloomwood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Shopaholic.

02/03 marked as: read

Moomanooma Alicia from above the list, i hate to say it but you are ignorant, stupid and rude... you crudley mock this humerouse book because you dont see the point in reading it, but let me tell you this book is actully popular. Ok im only 14 but you being an adult should be a bit polite when judging a book. Oh and by the sounds of things you have serious angre issues i mean who throws books and yells at their bf just because they didnt like a book! i hope you get this and understand what a half witted idot you are!

Carmaletta Hilton I am over halfway through this book and I completely agree with you. As I'm reading it, I just find myself growing more and more angry with this insipid little twit. I'm made most angry because I KNOW she's going to get this spectacular happy ending and she just does not deserve it. When I'm done, I definitely won't be reading the others.

message 3: by Suzi (new) - rated it 1 star

Suzi Totally agree. Ridiculous book that made me angry and irritated with the main character throughout. There was nothing redeemable or likable about her. It was a quick read and for that I was grateful.

Alicia Moomanooma wrote: "Alicia from above the list, i hate to say it but you are ignorant, stupid and rude... you crudley mock this humerouse book because you dont see the point in reading it, but let me tell you this boo..."

Man. I'm just now seeing this for the first time.

You should be, roughly, 15 by now? Hopefully, a year has made all of the difference, and you've begun reading intelligent novels.

I also hope that you've learned about hypocrisy, and can point out the ways you've displayed it in your comment to me.

Keep on keepin' on.

Maddy Willow I have to agree, Becky is a terrible role model and, when it seems that she is finally growing from her mistakes, she reverts back to the psychologically damaged person that she was before. However, if you'd like to read a novel with main character than is far more ignorant, incredibly stupid, deceitful, materialistic, dishonest, and rude, you should look into The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

message 6: by Jodi (new) - rated it 1 star

Jodi Yep. I have never wanted to throw the book at a character more!

Maryanne Blimey! I absolutely know what you mean. I'm currently at Chapter 9, and even if it's ridiculously funny, I cannot help but get annoyed by Becky Bloomwood. Such a idiot.

message 8: by Niki (new) - rated it 1 star

Niki Cee Alicia!! Love your review!! I found Her to be irritating too

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I personally enjoyed this book as a lighthearted read. I do not agree with your list of attributes, however we are each entitled to our own opinion.

Christine Loved this book and all shopaholic series plus domestic goddess. Any good free ebook webs 4 chick lits let me no thanks

Alexandra Whoa! so true. This book is hopeless

message 12: by Panna (new) - rated it 1 star

Panna Pawar Totally agree with u Alicia ., this book is really irritating

message 13: by Panna (new) - rated it 1 star

Panna Pawar Totally agree with u Alicia ., this book is really irritating

Paris Arnold Yeah I agree, I'm a quarter of the way in and I find she is really judgemental as a character and just too self indulgent, always puts herself before other people, the ones that have actually helped her out, very shallow as a character, it's a funny book don't get me wrong I have laughed at a few bits, but her mind is too shallow. I hope that she will improve her ways as I work my way through the book.

Ashley S. YES!!!!! That's exactly what kept happening to me....her behavior kept stressing me out because I simply could not comprehend to fact that someone could be that stupid and yet so arrogant!!!