Katy's Reviews > Shayla Witherwood: A Half-Faerie Tale

Shayla Witherwood by Tamra Torero

Feb 12, 2012

it was ok
Read from February 11 to 12, 2012

I thought this book was just okay. It was, by no means, a bad book, but it didn't really stand out either.

The first half of the book was about Shayla trying to fit in from being home-schooled to going to a public school. To me, her journey was pretty much uneventful. I mean, you had your stereotypical popular crowd, and the mean girl, and the outcasts and the best friends. But Jace didn't really make me swoon. Bree wasn't mean enough for me to hate her. And Josi and Shayla clicked, but they didn't have as tight of a bond as I was expecting. I guess what I mean to say is the relationships between the characters were pretty flat and didn't elicit much connection for me.

After the kiss (as previewed in the summary), I thought the book was going to get a bit more exciting. It did pick up a bit in the action department, but like I said earlier, not very eventful. The big unveiling to Jace didn't have a "oh, wow" effect I was hoping for, and even though Jace becomes a protector, he was still far from the knight in shining armor.

And again with the big finale, there was a bit of action there, but the book didn't have a lot of explanation, and it just kind of brushed along the surface. I didn't have a shock reaction. And it was nice to find out who everyone was and what their role in the whole book was, but again, no big unveiling.

LIke I said, this wasn't a bad book. It wasn't a waste of time. I just kind of wish that Torero took a little more time giving it a little more explanation or a little more action to elicit some feelings from me to emotionally connect with the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shayla Witherwood.