Rebecca's Reviews > Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Dec 30, 12

bookshelves: awesome-heroines, love-the-cover
Read from November 09 to 15, 2012

I was very excited to read Crewel when I first heard about it some time ago; the premise sounded pretty interesting. Weaving time? Cool. So I was really glad to finally start it when I got it from the library. While it isn't the best book I've read this year, it was certainly good and very creative.

The world that the author creates - Arras - is very interesting. The world building is done very nicely throughout the story. I never once felt too overwhemled with information about what was going on. Rather, the story unfolded in a believeable way. While I still don't feel I completely understand how everything works, I have a pretty good idea and am eager to see more. The way the weaving is described, with golden threads and such, was hard to picture. Not because it wasn't described well, it was, it was just diffucult to see someone actually using threads around them to manipulate things such as food, weather, etc. The way the government controlled people reminded me of Matched. Thank goodness that's were the similarity stopped.

There is a love triangle in Crewel, as I suspected there would be before I started. I prefer Jost, but then, Erik really wasn't in the story enough to be fully apppreciated. I want to see where Adelice's romantic relationships go in the future. Speaking of Adelice, although I kind of hate her name, she was an awesome heroine. It always makes me mad to read about any society in which women are seriously inferior in men. Although only women can be Spinsters, the Guild constantly tells them what to do, and everybody else, for that matter. Adelice was suitably snarky when it came to dealing with stuck-up jerks, particularily Cormac, the main villian in the novel (though there are plenty of others). Also, the writing was very lovely. Easy to read.

Crewel was an awesome novel and I eagerly await the release of its sequel. Would give it four stars, but the love triangle bothered me so much, I'm knocking it down to 3.5.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel.

11/09/2012 page 22
5.0% "Hmm. This society reminds me of Matched. Hopefully the characters don't."
11/15/2012 page 202
54.0% "I'm sensing a triangle of love developing...."