Bishop Bergland's Reviews > Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life

Falling Upward by Richard Rohr

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: christianity, spirituality
Read from February 11 to 14, 2012

Easily the most important book I have read for understanding my own spiritual journey since Thomas Merton's "Seven Storey Mountain." More importantly, Fr. Rohr's descriptions of the two halves of life explain precisely why the Church lacks mentors - so many Church leaders across traditions over the last one hundred years never transitioned from the first half of life to the second, never moved from being completely fixated on building something to a more mature spirituality that would have allowed them to become mentors, allowed them to train and educate those who would succeed them. This choice left them advanced in years trying to do a young person's job and wondering why they lacked the energy and the insight to do that job. The tragedy is that they missed the opportunity to become the elders both the Church and the world so desperately need.

It does not matter if you are in the first half of life or the second, this book will speak to you and help you understand why you are where you are at this precise moment in your journey. Especially if you are, or hope to be, involved in any kind of leadership you need to read this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Upward.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bobby hm... I like Thomas Merton's "Seven Storey Mountain too. But now I found a pretty good books of new authors. For instance, a crossing or the drop's history by Anatoliy Obraztsov. Did you read this one?