Jasmine Star's Reviews > Human Rights and Reform: Changing the Face of North African Politics

Human Rights and Reform by Susan E. Waltz

Aug 08, 08

bookshelves: middle-east
Read in August, 2008

This book was written during the very tumultuous time in North Africa…late 80s early 90s. Most of the book focuses on very specific leaders of Human Rights movements in Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria. It is somewhat strange to read this book in 2008, because so many of these issues have come a long way in a short period of time, but also the book is written from such a strange perspective…present focused, and finite, so that I was acutely conscious of the fact that I was not just reading “history” but someone’s opinion of what could possibly happen. I honestly was annoyed.
I enjoyed very much the statements made about how the culture and government of each country contributes in unique ways to human rights, but it did it so briefly because the author was more focused on the issues in that distant present, so its hard to glean from the book its modern applications…it is definitely not timeless, I would have preferred to read a more modern book that encompasses history, events, but is not pigeonholed by its writing to only be applicable for a few years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Human Rights and Reform.