Ellen's Reviews > Breath of Angel

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: publisher-book-reviews, fantasy
Read in February, 2012

Description:

The stranger’s cloak had fallen back, and with it, a long, white, blood-stained wing.
When Melaia, a young priestess, witnesses the gruesome murder of a stranger in the temple courtyard, age-old legends recited in song suddenly come to life. She discovers wings on the stranger, and the murderer takes the shape of both a hawk and a man.

Angels. Shape-shifters. Myths and stories—until now.

Melaia finds herself in the middle of a blood feud between two immortal brothers who destroyed the stairway to heaven, stranding angels in the earthly realm. When Melaia becomes a target, she finds refuge with a band of angels attempting to restore the stairway. But the restoration is impossible without settling an ancient debt—the "breath of angel, blood of man," a payment that involves Melaia’s heart, soul, and destiny. (Christianbook.com)

Click HERE to read Chapter 1 or HERE to see the video book trailer!

Karyn Henly has also written a study guide for Breath of Angel.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I love Christian fiction and historical fiction; I usually don't choose to read from the fantasy genre. Breath of Angel is fantasy / science fiction. The book cover drew me in, so I decided to give it a chance.

Halfway through the book, I realized I needed to STOP trying to draw parallels to the Christian walk. I kept wanting to seek out the Christian symbolism to help me find the moral of the story. Once I sat back and read for enjoyment, I was then pulled into the story. Melaia, the main character, represents a strong young woman who braved evil for good to prevail. Her character alone would keep teenage girls enthralled.

Breath of Angel is the first book in the Angelaeon Circle series from Karyn Henley. The second book Eye of the Sword continues the story of Melaia and Trevin as he tries to prove his worth to her and the king.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breath of Angel.