Shelley Bainter's Reviews > A Pirate of Exquisite Mind: Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer: The Life of William Dampier

A Pirate of Exquisite Mind by Diana Preston

Mar 04, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

This was a really interesting bio. I loved all the explorations he made in plants, hydrology and weather. I've been wowing (my word, not theirs) my friends with factoids about the items we consider common that Dampier discovered and documented.

I found the book a bit difficult to get through because it seemed to be bogged down in each step of each voyage. Who was there, what ship they were on, etc. was more detail than I was interested in.

In the end, I wasn't sure what to make of Dampier. Was he a bad guy? I don't know the answer to that, but his story is certainly interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pirate of Exquisite Mind.

02/11/2012 "Only 50 pages in, and I've already learned that he assigned the names to cashews, avocados, barbecue (as a cooking method) and boobies (the bird). But every time I pick it up, I hear Jerry Seinfeld's voice crying "But I don't wanna be a pirate!" from the puffy shirt episode. Off to a very interesting start."