Ficbot's Reviews > The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family

The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer

U_50x66
Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in February, 2012

Begun this with hesitation after not being terribly impressed by the first book in this memoir trilogy, but since it was a library book and it was fairly short, I was curious to see how Pelzer's story continued. There were many issues left unresolved after the first book, and this one addressed many of them and was a vast improvement. Pelzer's style does tend to the melodrama (lots of exclamation points and declarations that a moment was a turning point in his future) but I respect what he has overcome and I found the book to be an engaging and moving story.

One perspective I especially appreciated was Mr. Pelzer's abiding respect for the social workers, foster parents and other caring adults in his life. Many other books I have read on this subject portray these people as inept, uncaring or outright abusive. It was nice to see a memoir about foster care where the writer acknowledges that adults did help him, and in the end, he gives one set of parents the ultimate tribute of calling them mom and dad.

I suppose you do need to read the first book, gory and clunky though it was, to appreciate this one. But, having done so, I found volume 2 in Pelzer's memoir series to be a vast improvement and a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Boy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna Marie I agree with you on the first book. I hope when I read the second, I get some answers. It was so disturbing.